lunes, 20 de febrero de 2012

Aigüamolls de l'Empordà 18/02/2012

I'm sorry, I couldn't post yesterday, but I was quite ill.

On saturday my parents took me to the Aigüamolls de l'Empordà, a very good birding spot on the north of Catalonia, almost touching France. It's a complex of coastal lagoons, and the best wetlands for birding after the Delta del Ebro.
I was looking for two rarities that had been seen for a couple of weeks now, Greater White Fronted Goose and Bewick's Swan.
Once we arrived, we went to one of the hides in the Cortalet lagoon where there were Flamingos, many duck species, Greylag Geese, etc.
We carried on and went to another hide at the same lagoon. There we were lucky, another birder there saw the two Greater White Fronted Geese (lifer) between a group of Greylags. As usual at the Aigüamolls, there were also large numbers of White Stork.
Our next stop was the Estany de Can Túries, where the Swans had been reported. On the way we could see Sardinian Warbler, Stonechat, Reed Bunting, Hoopoe and Skylark amongst others.
Once we entered the hide we got a little disappointed, there weren't any birds except for a couple of Shovelers. Suddendly I realized a big white spot at the end of the lagoon. Full of hope I focused it with my scope, it was a swan. I was already thinking it was the Bewick's when it turned its head and I saw the bill, Mute Swan. There was also a Spotted Redshank around there.
 Just as we had gone out of the hide and were going back again, two birdwatchers which were going to the hide observed two white spots on a meadow newt to the hide. They were the two Bewick's Swans.
After this we went again to the Cortalet area and followed the path which leads to the beach. Our next stop was the Estanys del Matà, where there Greenshank, a lot of Snipes, a Water Rail, etc.
Finally, in the last hide of the day we observed Great Crested and Black Necked Grebes, Tufted Duck and Common Pochard.
 White Storks
 Bewick's Swan (those tiny white things)
 Reed Bunting
 Two more White Storks

2 comentarios:

  1. Another good birding trip , excellent photos too , its always worth checking the bottom of White Stork nests as Spanish Sparrows often nest in them . although i expect you already know this :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. No, I didn't!
    But it's quite difficult getting Spanish Sparrow in Catalonia, especially in the north...
    I've never seen any.

    Thank you.

    ResponderEliminar